North Devon Homes is positive about pet ownership. We aim to:
- Encourage responsible pet ownership
- Provide guidance to staff and residents to allow pets, subject to specific obligations and requirements
- Assess each request on a case by case basis
- Maintain a register of all pets and ensure pet care arrangements are in place should the pet owner be unable to care for their pet
- Provide access to pet care advice and information from recognised animal welfare sources
- Ban any breeding or business activity from the animal on the premises
- Encourage neutering and permanent identification of pets
- Work with pet owners to resolve problems of pet ownership
Can I keep a pet in my home?
You will need to get our ok if you want to keep any pet in your home, whether domestic or otherwise. If you're in any doubt please ask.
All applications are subject to the following checks;
- Your rent account
- The type of home and tenancy you have with us
- Do you have easy access to open spaces that are suitable for the type of pet you wish to keep?
We will normally say yes to your request. However, we will say no if for example:
- You are breeding and/or selling animals from your home
- Where we consider your home is unsuitable
We promise to:
- Treat each application on an individual basis depending on your needs and the type of home you live in
- Give our decision within 28 days from the date we receive your application
How to ask permission
The easiest way to apply is to complete our enquiry form. Alternatively give our Customer Care Team a call on 01271 312500 for a form to be sent.
Have you considered how much it will cost?
The average monthly cost including insurance for a dog is:
- Small dog: £70
- Medium dog: £80
- Large dog: £105
For a cat including insurance and cat litter £50 per month
Here are some useful contacts for advice:
Please remember you are responsible for your pet, if it becomes a nuisance in the neighbourhood we might have to withdraw our consent for you to keep a pet. This would mean finding your pet alternative accommodation within 7 days.
We are happy to help customers who have any concerns with animals in their neighbourhood, just give our Customer Care Team a call on 01271 312500.
When we give our agreement we might:
- Set some conditions
- State the number of pets you may keep in your home
- Dogs should not be left unattended at any time, be allowed to roam, should be properly trained and should be kept on a lead at all times. Dogs must not foul on any public areas and all mess must be picked up.
- Pet areas should be kept clean and not cause unpleasant odours.