Aids & Adaptations

Aids and adaptations are alterations or equipment that are fitted in your home that support you to complete day to day household activities safely and easily, enabling you to continue living independently in your home.

How do I get an aid or adaptation installed in my property?

If you feel you would benefit from a disabled adaptation to your home, the process is very easy and straightforward.

• You will need to arrange for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to visit you by contacting Care Direct on 0345 155 1007, or you can visit their website:

• The Occupational Therapist will make an assessment of the works required.

An example of the types of works that are classed as Minor or Major adaptations can be found below:

Minor works

  • Grab rails
  • External hand rails
  • Lever taps
  • Additional stair rails
  • Specialist hearing equipment

Major works

  • Level access showers
  • Stair lifts
  • Access ramps
  • Wet rooms

All minor adaptations will be sent to NDH for approval. We normally use our Home 2 Home team to carry our minor adaptations although during busy periods or for specified works we use a range of local contractors.

All major adaptations will require a Statement of Need form to be completed by your Occupational Therapist. Funding may be obtained for these adaptations via a Disabled Funding Grant which your Occupational Therapist or case worker will be able to support you through. Major adaptations are carried out by contractors instructed by Care Direct or North Devon Council.

You can find out more information about Disabled Facilities Grants at

If you would like to read our Aids and Adaptations leaflet please click here. If you have any questions about anything in this leaflet please contact us on 01271 312500.