Housing Benefit

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.


Making a claim for housing benefit

You can ask North Devon Council for a claim form by phone, in person or online.

Or you can complete the HCTB1 claim form online, print it off and return it to your council.

Download the HCTB1 claim form from Gov.uk

Shelter have lots of good advice about how to make a claim for housing benefit - please click here to read it.


Frequently Asked Questions - Housing Benefit


I have a housing benefit shortfall – what do I need to pay to top it up?

You should pay the difference between your rent and your housing benefit entitlement each week.  If you have been overpaid housing benefit there may also be a deduction from your weekly entitlement to pay that back.


Why am I not receiving full housing benefit?

This could be because your entitlement has changed or an overpayment is being recovered.  You will need to talk to North Devon District Council on 01271 388877 about your housing benefit claim.