Making Changes To Your Household

When you began renting your home from us, you, or someone living in your household, will have signed a tenancy agreement.


The person or people named on the tenancy agreement are known as ‘tenants’ and are responsible for maintaining the tenancy, for example, ensuring that the rent is paid and that the house is kept in good condition.


The other people who live in your home with you, and who are not named on the tenancy agreement are known as ‘occupants’. This could be your children, another relative or a partner.

How do I notify you about changes to my household?

It is important that you keep us updated about who is living in your home. If your circumstances change please let us know so that we can update our records.

Need to request permission to make a change to the record of occupants living in your home?

Need to request permission to make changes to the people named on your tenancy agreement?

If someone moves in with you and you are claiming benefits you will also need to inform the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 055 6688 and North Devon Council’s Housing Benefit Office by telephone 01271 388877 or email Your benefit payments will be adjusted according to your household’s new circumstances. Failure to do this may result in possible benefit overpayments and you may be liable for prosecution for benefit fraud.