Making Changes To Your Tenancy Agreement

When you began renting your home from us you will have signed a tenancy agreement. You will have either a sole tenancy or a joint tenancy.

Sole tenancies

A sole tenancy is a tenancy that is in your name, or one person’s name, only.

Joint tenancies

A joint tenancy is a tenancy that is held by more than one person. Generally, joint tenancies are held by two people, who are both named on the agreement. However, a joint tenancy can be in the names of up to 4 people. All people named on the joint tenancy have equal rights and responsibilities for the tenancy.

How do I add or remove people from my tenancy?

A tenancy agreement is a legal document and therefore once a tenancy is created, people cannot simply be added or removed. If you would like to make changes to your tenancy a new tenancy agreement must be created. You will need to request our permission to make changes to your tenancy – our procedures for doing this are detailed below.

Adding a name

If you would like to add a person to your tenancy you will need to complete our Request for change/amendment of tenancy details form.

Once this form has been submitted it will be reviewed and verification checks will be carried out to ensure that the change of tenancy can go ahead.

Checks include:

  • Evidence that the proposed joint applicant has been living at the property for at least 12 months;
  • That the applicant is either a close family member, or married couple or in a civil partnership;
  • That there are no issues with the rent account.

A request for a joint tenancy will usually be considered providing:

  • the proposed tenant does not hold a tenancy either solely or jointly elsewhere;
  • there is not a valid County Court Order on the property;
  • there is no valid Notice of Seeking Possession for any Breach of Tenancy;
  • your rent account is clear;
  • the tenancy is currently in a sole name;
  • both parties are over 18 and intend to live in the property as their sole home;
  • there is an established relationship - this will normally mean that you are married or have been living together for at least 12 months;
  • the proposed new tenant is not subject to Immigration Control.

Removing a name

If you would like to remove someone from a joint tenancy you will need to complete our Request for change/ amendment of tenancy details form.

Removing someone from a joint tenancy must be done with the agreement of all parties and an assignment document signed by all people named on the tenancy agreement.

If there are arrears on the account then a disclaimer will need to be completed for parties to sign so that the existing tenant agrees to take on all responsibilities for the tenancy from that date onwards.

Relationship breakdown/ separating from a partner who lives with you

When relationships breakdown between joint tenants or you separate from your partner who lives with you, it is not always easy to change the tenancy from a joint to a sole one. If your relationship breaks down please contact us as soon as possible for advice.

Succession rights when a tenant dies

If you die, your tenancy can be passed to someone else in certain circumstances. The right for someone to inherit a tenancy when the tenant dies is known as succession.

The right to inherit or succeed a tenancy depends on the type of tenancy and your relationship with the person who has died.

If you have a joint tenancy, the surviving tenant becomes the sole tenant of the property.

If you would like to make an enquiry about a tenancy succession please contact us.