Moving Other People Into Your Home

If you would like someone to move into your home, for example a partner or family member, you will need to get permission from us first. We will review your application taking into consideration potential issues such as overcrowding. As part of this process we may also chose to consult with other agencies to make checks and assess the risks presented by, for example, previous history of behaviour.

If you would like to request permission for someone to move into your home please contact us stating the full name, date of birth and previous address of the person you would like to move into your home and the reason why you would like them to move in, for example, you have a new partner.

If someone moves in with you and you are claiming benefits you will also need to inform the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 055 6688 and North Devon Council’s Housing Benefit Office by telephone 01271 388877 or email Your benefit payments will be adjusted according to your household’s new circumstances. Failure to do this may result in possible benefit overpayments and you may be liable for prosecution for benefit fraud.