Skip to main content

ASB and Neighbour Disputes

North Devon Homes is committed to creating communities where people want to live. We want to ensure that all our customers can enjoy peace, quiet and security in their homes.

Everyone has the right to live in their homes free from excessive noise, vandalism, harassment and fear of crime. Most people show consideration for neighbours and the community in which we all live, sometimes this is not the case causing irritation and even distress.

What is Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)?

  • Playing loud music
  • Verbal or physical abuse
  • Arguing and slamming doors
  • Letting dogs bark too much or foul public areas
  • Offensive behaviour
  • Criminal activities
  • Hate/Mate Crime
  • Dumping rubbish, fly tipping
  • Unreasonable behaviour

What is not ASB?

  • Babies crying
  • Cooking odours
  • One-off parties/BBQ where there is no evidence further problems will occur
  • Normal behaviour occurring at unusual times, for example, due to different working patterns and providing the resident is being considerate.
  • Clash of lifestyles
  • Children’s play

ASB can be reported to us by:

Woman on the phone

What happens when you report ASB?

When you report anti-social behaviour we will register your complaint, open an ASB case file (if necessary) and agree some actions with you. It is very important you follow up on these actions as they help us take the case further.

In cases of neighbourhood dispute we may suggest mediation. If mediation is appropriate to help resolve your anti-social behaviour case, we will expect you to take part.

Nuisance Diary

Depending on the type of ASB we may ask you to complete a Nuisance Diary. This can be downloaded here:

What to do in an emergency?

If the incident is life-threatening, please call 999 immediately and speak with the emergency services. If the incident involves a crime not requiring the emergency services for example, your car has been stolen, your property damaged, or you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood please call 101.